This short video will give you an idea of what team based learning looks like in medical education. Duke Medical School in Singapore uses TBL extensively in their curriculum. The structure looks like this:
- Faculty work as a team to write objectives, select materials for instruction, write test questions, and create scenarios for cases.
- Students study material chosen by the team of faculty members. The material may include recorded lectures, articles, videos, or other related material.
- Students take an individual test to make sure they learning the basic material.
- Students discuss their answers to the test questions as a group and answer the questions.
- Students use this material to investigate clinical applications (they look like cases).
- Faculty act as guides to answer questions the students may have.
Check it out